分享好友 英语资讯首页 频道列表

双语阅读|《老人与海》第二期

边读边学  2018-04-30 18:300

The successful fishermen of that day were already in and had butchered their marlin out and carried them laid full length across two planks,

当天有收获的几个渔夫都已经回来了,他们将捕到的马林鱼剖开,摊平放在两块木板上,

with two men staggering at the end of each plank, to the fish house where they waited for the ice truck to carry them to the market in Havana.

一人抬着一头,两个人摇摇晃晃地走到制鱼场里,在那儿等着冷冻车来把鱼运到哈瓦那的市场上去。

Those who had caught sharks had taken them to the shark factory on the other side of the cove where they were hoisted on a block and tackle,

捕到鲨鱼的人们,也已经把鲨鱼扛到海湾另一边的鲨鱼腌制厂去了,在那儿,鲨鱼被吊在带钩的滑车上,

their livers removed, their fins cut off and their hides skinned out and their flesh cut into strips for salting.

然后被取下肝,割去鳍,剥下皮,肉也被切成一片一片准备腌制。

When the wind was in the east a smell came across the harbor from the shark factory;

每当东风吹起,鲨鱼腌制厂的鱼腥味便飘过海湾吹过来;

双语阅读

but today there was only the faint edge of the odor because the wind had backed into the north and then dropped off and it was pleasant and sunny on the Terrace.

但是今天只能闻到淡淡的气息,因为风已经往北方刮去,且逐渐平息,阳光照着海滨酒店,天气十分宜人。

"Santiago," the boy said.

“圣地亚哥,”孩子说。

"Yes," the old man said. He was holding his glass and thinking of many years ago.

“呃,”老人回答。他把酒杯拿在手里,正想着许多年以前的事情。

"Can I go out to get sardines for you for tomorrow?"

“我去替你拿些明天的沙丁鱼来,好不好?”

"No. Go and play baseball. I can still row and Rogelio will throw the net."

“不。你去玩垒球吧。我还可以划船呢,何况还有罗吉利奥替我撒网。”

"I would like to go. If I cannot fish with you, I would like to serve in some way."

“我还是想去。即使不能跟你一道打鱼,我也想替你做些别的事儿。”

"You bought me a beer," the old man said. "You are already a man."

“你已经替我买了一瓶啤酒,”老人说。“现在你是个大人啦。”

"How old was I when you first took me in a boat?"

“你头一趟带我上船,那时我多大岁数?”

"Five and you nearly were killed when I brought the fish in too green and he nearly tore the boat to pieces. Can you remember?"

“五岁。当年我把一条生龙活虎的鱼拖上船的时候,那家伙险些儿把船撞得粉碎,你也差点送了命。还记得吗?”

"I can remember the tail slapping and banging and the thwart breaking and the noise of the clubbing.

“我记得鱼尾巴叭哒叭哒地直扑打,船上坐板也裂开了缝,还有你用棍棒打鱼的声音。

I can remember you throwing me into the bow where the wet coiled lines were and feeling the whole boat shiver,

我记得你把我扔到船头放着湿钩丝卷儿的地方,我觉得整只船都在颤动,

and the noise of you clubbing him like chopping a tree down and the sweet blood smell all over me."

我又听到你用棍子打鱼的声音,像砍一棵树似的,接着一股新鲜的血腥味儿扑遍了我的全身。”

"Can you really remember that or did I just tell it to you?"

“你真的记得那回事儿吗?还是我告诉你的呢?”

"I remember everything from when we first went together."

“从我们第一次一起到海里去起,什么事儿我都记得一清二楚。”

The old man looked at him with his sunburned, confident loving eyes.

老人用他那双日晒风吹、坚定而慈爱的眼睛望着他。

"If you were my boy I'd take you out and gamble," he said.

“你要是我自个儿的孩子,我就会带你去冒一冒险了,”他说。

"But you are your father's and your mother's and you are in a lucky boat."

“可是,你是你爸爸的,是你妈妈的,你搭的又是一只交了好运的船。”

"May I get the sardines? I know where I can get four baits too."

“我去拿沙丁鱼好吗?我还知道什么地方可以拿四条鱼食来呢。”

"I have mine left from today. I put them in salt in the box."

“今天我自个儿还有剩下的。我把它们放在盒子里用盐腌上了。”

"Let me get four fresh ones."

“那么让我弄四条新鲜的来吧。”

"One," the old man said.

“一条,”老人说。

His hope and his confidence had never gone. But now they were freshening as when the breeze rises.

他的希望和信心从来没有消失,现在又像微风初起时那样清新了。

"Two," the boy said.

“两条,”孩子说。

"Two," the old man agreed. "You didn't steal them?"

“那么就两条吧,”老人答应了。“可不是偷来的吧?”

"I would," the boy said. "But I bought these."

“偷我也愿意,”孩子说。“可我是买来的。”

"Thank you," the old man said.

“谢谢你,”老人说。

He was too simple to wonder when he had attained humility.

他真够天真,在自己谦卑的时候一点也不以为奇。

But he knew he had attained it and he knew it was not disgraceful and it carried no loss of true pride.

但是他知道他已经变得谦卑,他知道这不是耻辱,而且也没有给真正的高傲带来损失。

"Tomorrow is going to be a good day with this current," he said.

“照这样的海流,明天会是一个好日子,”他说。

"Where are you going?" the boy asked.

“你要到哪儿去?”孩子问。

"Far out to come in when the wind shifts. I want to be out before it is light."

“去得远远的,风向一转就顺着风回来。天亮以前我就要出发了。”


查看更多关于【边读边学】的文章

展开全文
相关推荐
反对 0
举报 0
评论 0
图文资讯
热门推荐
优选好物
更多推荐文章
双语阅读|《老人与海》第二十二期
He rubbed the cramped hand against his trousers and tried to gentle the fingers.他把那只抽筋的手在裤子上擦擦,想使手指松动松动。But it would not open.可是手张不开来。Maybe it will open with the sun, he thought.也许随着太阳出来它能张开,他想

0评论2018-04-30544

更多推荐